To work as a community to connect with land owners who might be interested in making To support mission-driven landowners (faith-based organizations, governments, educational institutions, business, etc.) in thoughtfully pursuing affordable and attainable housing development on their properties.
As we know, the fires of 2020 destroyed nearly 1,700 affordable and attainable homes in Phoenix and Talent. Private developers are meeting market demand for nice, new homes, but are not building enough housing for our essential workers and those in lower earning periods of their lives. Front line and middle managers, seniors, young couples, and those who cannot work.
Reimagine & Rebuild Rogue Valley and the Long Term Recovery Group can help support landowners’ planning for the use of surplus lands and facilitate conversations between landowners and mission driven developers willing to create more housing. We can also convene Community conversations and support of opportunities to develop more housing built into the greenway and traffic growth management projects as well
Our goal now is to begin conversations with people who own land and want to make a difference in their community, whether by selling, leasing, or donating the land into a mission-driven development opportunity. Here is a presentation of an approach we have developed based on best practices developed by MHCH’s congregational lands program in Pasadena, CA. Here’s a video explaining their program (starts at the substantive part)
To Get Started
We need to build two teams to support our land availability work. First, we need a team of local leaders who can connect with landowners and teach them about the need for housing and their potential role in solutions. Second, we need a team of technical experts to support landowners in thinking through their values and how housing development might further their goals.
- Pro Housing Leaders – Build a group of pro housing community leaders who can connect with landowners – congregations, businesses, government entities, schools, and private citizens.
- Technical Experts – Engage a team of volunteer local real estate and building experts to support landowners in thinking about how they might develop their land in service of their enlightened self interest.
Once the team is assembled, they will support the
- Support development of a clear vision for landowners and how a request for proposals can further their goals
- Facilitate the collaboration of landowners and developers through a process that meets everyone’s needs with win/win/win solutions for landowners, developers, and the community
Here’s an illustration of how this process unfolds. Our teams will work as coordinators across the entire development process.
Click on this image or the link below for full explanation of how this program works.
Click here or on the image above to view the slide presentation
Types of development envisioned
The goal is permanent, owner-occupied housing wherever possible, not transitional housing.
- Starter homes for sale
- Cottage clusters
- Duplexes to Quads
- Multifamily apartments
- Cooperatively owned mobile home parks
Ideal land characteristics
- Inside urban growth boundary
- 1 acre and larger
- Zoned multifamily residential, commercial, religious, or single family residential
- Near transit
Land owners of particular interest
We believe that mainline denomination faith-based organizations could align with both shared values and ownership of available land.
Long time landowners who have not sold out of a sense of stewardship for the land and our community could also be interested.
How you can help
- Reach out and join our team as a Pro Housing Leader or a Technical Expert
- Think of anyone in your circles who may own land and has a heart for this community and begin the conversation. We are happy to join the discussion as early as you feel comfortable.
If you have someone in mind
- Show them this page and ask them if they would be willing to discuss making the land available for this type of development.
- Begin a conversation to explore their level of interest and the land they might have available.
- Introduce them to Stephen at R3V to continue the conversation and begin moving towards connecting with mission-driven developers.
And the R3V Housing Working Group
Find a time on Stephen’s calendar to discuss Land Availability